Sunday, May 16, 2010

Exercise can change your attitude…. Be active!!!!


"Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional and mental states." - Carol Welch


So, Lately I’ve been extra motivated to get in a real “good good” work-out. For those who know me, you might be chuckling and consider this typical, but lately the weather has just been great for some extra extra “sweat time” (the winter season tends to give me/us less options for our equation, I personally don’t like the cold, which ultimately limits my exercise routine and another factor is the shorter days). Again, those of you who know me know that no matter what the day, week, month, or how I feel (unless I’m sick), or where I am… I am getting my exercise in… It’s that simple… I’m an addict. WHY? Exercise gives me energy and relieves tension/stress while allowing me to give forethought (therapeutic vision) to try and live a purposeful life. Most of the time exercise gives me time to myself, unless it involves sports or other people, but again even then, it still allows me to release stress and gain energy.


Now you might be laughing at the statement “exercise gives me energy” because it is sounds like a definite oxymoron, BUT it is true…..


Research shows that regular exercise can increase energy levels even with people suffering from illness. If you’re just starting to get into the routine of exercise you may, scratch that…. you are exhausted ( lol, I know the feeling!!!!!) BUT weather the storm and give yourself a chance. “Keep it moving” because in due time you will feel more energized (proper eating and sleep is necessary as well).


My 94 year old “nana”. That’s right I call her nana :). Is one of the most amazing people that I know… Up until about three months ago, she was living in her 3 level house, easily maneuvering around and doing her “thang, thang”… She is a true independent woman. She could get it! You would have thought she was in her early 70’s. Now, a lot of people would correlate her life span to good genes and being blessed, etc… which I won’t argue, but I’d like to say that being active and living a healthy lifestyle played a big part in her longevity in life, which ultimately allowed her to positively affect so many people in so many different ways and to live purposefully day-in and day-out…. Now, my nana was born in 1915, so she didn’t go to the gym, and she didn’t listen to crazy infomercials about insane workouts and diets… Her equation was very simplistic. She is from Pittsburgh, PA and lives in the city. If you have ever been to PITT, you know most of the hills (little mountains) there are redunkulous, lol… About 4 to 5 days a week she would walk in the morning around her neighborhood (approx. 2 to 4 miles depending on the day). Along with her walking she worked around her house and yard quite often. Her lifestyle also involved activity. She doesn’t have a car so she often caught public transportation and walked around town. After she retired she stayed involved mentally and physically with her church. ACTIVITY was key and she did it all the time. If you think about it, your body is meant to be active. If you are not active parts start to weaken and become inactive/useless (that’s with most things). This goes hand in hand with your heart and lungs. The more you work these two organs, the longer you can last, the further you can go… Think about it.. Now, I am not saying all this for you to go out and run a marathon, I am simply saying start building your stamina/endurance and see where it takes you. Activity can involve anything that gets your heart rate going.. Make your equation in relation to your everyday lifestyle, and let your equation be conducive to you! If “being active” is new to you, start slow and build, remember you plan is to be healthy for a lifetime…. If you have any questions please, don’t hesitate to ask me. You can leave a comment or email me at denarene18@yahoo.com.

"Exercise is good for your Mind, Body, and Soul"-Susie Michelle Corthright

No comments:

Post a Comment