Saturday, May 21, 2011

COMFORT ZoNe.. Learn to be Uncomfortable sometimes.. It's good for the soul.. (Inspired by Rdowdy)





How often do you go out and do something completely spontaneous and off the wall? Do you ever feel uncomfortable? I'm not saying a bad uncomfortable.. I am more or less talking about the uncomfortable of you not being used to your surroundings and uncertainty of your mental and physical reaction to the situation. I live for healthy uncomfortable moments. Do you? So in relation to living a healthy lifestyle how often do you do the unlikely. Do you even give a new exercise/activity a chance? Is it in your make-up to get down and dirty? Would you try a new sport knowing you'll be absolutely awful? Would you try a new class knowing you might be in over your head? Would you train for a marathon or 1/2 marathon with no fear?

Life is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo short, and since I am approaching the "dirty thirty" in six months, my goal is to live it up! I've never been shy at trying new things, but I am trying to go above and beyond and initiate all newness (not a word, lol) even if it is trying some things all by myself. Eve Zibart said, "Prejudice rarely survives experience".
In other words prejudice and judgement usually stems from unfamiliarity. Many people often just don't know! Judgement is cast upon ignorance. Now, I know I am going slightly off topic, but at times this directly relates to individuals take towards exercise and activity. If you are unfamiliar about the feeling and the way living healthy makes you feel, then you might have initial ill will or rejection towards anything new and spontaneous despite the overall positive outcome. Someone also said, "Familiarity creates understanding that bridges any
line that may have been drawn. Soon we realize the line was artificial."..


So, how can you learn to see yourself in a different light (I'm telling you, you might surprise yourself)? My appreciation for others and different activities really came in to play when I moved to the Bay Area/CALI in 2005. Whoa! Shocker! People were so different, at first I thought I moved to a different country. To me everyone was just weird, and I have to say the first few months were hard because I was so unfamiliar with my surroundings. I had experienced nothing like it before even though I went to college out of state far from home, and I also saw myself as a very liberal/non-judgemental person until Cali encompassed me. Soon, time passed, and I learned to appreciate all the culture that I was surrounded by... What a blessings in disguise. I learned so many new things, did so many different things, and met so many great people of different ethnic backgrounds. I came to learn that people live and do amazing, wonderful outrageous things in so many different capacities, and I also learned there is and should be no limit to your doings because of your race, age, sex or ethnicity. I have been back in south for more than 2 years and I have often come across  prejudice feelings and judgements, and it truly bothers me because why should something like "being a black woman who likes/enjoys running and physical activity" be something of judgement or uncommon distaste. Who says or thinks that and then approaches me with abrupt questions/statements? AND Why and where does my race come into play? Please tell me.. I could go on and on, BUT I'll stick to the topic at hand.. GETTING OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE, LIVE IT UP!

So, you may ask, where do I start in doing this? I would say start with something that is of interest, but you've been to fearful to try... I wouldn't start with the complete thing that you despise or have no interest in doing. Secondly, I would research your activity. Find out what other people think or did, ask questions.. Often when you do this, you'll find out that your fear/judgement is beyond absurd. Even ask someone who often does or plays this activity, have them give you a brief testimony. I know this sounds corny as heck, but best believe it might make you feel a little better.

I can also correlate and testify seeing improvement in fitness, weight loss and overall health to stepping outside of my comfort zone. When I started off my soccer career at Florida I had not been pushed to the capacity that they were going to push me. Lord knows I almost died, lol.. But seriously, I dove over the hump my freshman year. My body was in constant shock, and I soon realized that I had to suck it up and give my blood, sweat and tears in order to grow as a player. The accomplishment and overall growth that I experienced during this period of my life is something that I can never duplicate, and it just further continued as my lifestyle and pushing myself personally. So, if you're in that category where you want to change and grow physically, and you feel as if  you haven't or can't, ask yourself... Have I stepped outside my comfort zone?  

Here is a great link to an article about stepping out of your comfort zone
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/tom-venuto/get-out-of-comfort-zone.htm . It gives you a personal assessment activity to help achieve your health, fitness, physical physique and/or athletic performance.

Lastly, in regards to physical improvement it doesn't always  have to be complicated and super imaginative, just challenge yourself. Instead of doing the same old regular bike ride instead try a spin class. Instead of running 3 miles, try stadiums. Instead of doing weight machines try a "insanity"/"cross-fit" or some type of circuit training. You get the point... Do something that shocks your body mentally and physically. Again you'll surprise yourself and you'll feel so good and accomplished afterwards.

So I leave you with some of my guaranteed new challenges that I am partaking in this summer.. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF THIS SUMMER?

Gladiator 5K- Obstacle course of mud, fun, obstacle courses and running
Water Skiing- Always wanted to do it, Lake Tahoe, yesssss!
Sailing- taking lessons on Lake Crabtree this summer, should be interesting to say the least
Marathon- something I said I'd never do, but after taking the wrong route in my 1/2 marathon this spring I figure what's an extra 7 miles, lol (long story)


AND FINALLY... I leave you with this quote

"You'll pass out before you die" Lol.. CHALLENGE YOURSELF!!!! (LOL!!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment