Thursday, May 27, 2010

Does your hair keep you from exercising (black woman)??


VIDEO LINK CLIP (WATCH)
Hair Can Keep Black Women from Exercise


Initially, I was hesitant to write this post because I didn't want to offend anyone, but I thought of this topic due to a few comments that I have heard over the last few months. For instance.. my friend's facebook status was (below)

HE SAID/HIS STATUS 
"Can y'all answer this question? Why do a certain ethnicity of women say they can't workout because it will mess up their hair?"


Replies To Status Statement


Women # 1- "I work out, but I will admit to planning workouts around hair appointments. If you get a good workout in you're essentially ruining your 'do. But that's not an excuse to not work outwork out. Who cares if your hair looks great if your body is a mess."
He Said/Status Writer -"Good answer!!"
Woman #2- "I'm mad @ u for this one (his name)!! You just don't know how hard it is to keep my hair looking this good and its one reason I don't work out really hard...lol!!! I do a lil bit though. "
Woman #2 again- "And I'm cool wit me, aaaall of me. Lol"
Woman #3- "After you spend all that time doing your hair you don't want to go the gym to sweat it out so you would have to do it all over again"
Woman #4- "you should know better than anybody why.....wolf pack..lol...but still not a reason to be lazy"
Man #1- "I don't know why Asian women do that. It's getting out of hand."
Woman #4 again -"LOL!"
Woman #2 again- "I agree with (her name)!"
Woman #5- "I work out almost everyday but 1st I curl my hair and then wrap it so that when I'm done working out I can come home, take a shower and then undo my sexy! Looks like I never worked out that day:-) "
Woman #6-"...i thought you would like to hear from an old, yet still cute, white lady regarding this very topic...and yes, just today...i skipped my workout because my hair looked so darn good.....sorry, but I speak the truth!...love to the family.."
Woman #7- "lol! these are some good answers!!!!!"
Me- "I don't know (well actually I do know)...If I ever get my blog on and poppn', that will be a topic of discussion. so, don't forget that, k.."
He said/Status Writer- "Lol gotcha d flo"
Man #2 -"They don't work out hard cause I love them curvy hips/ hefty bottoms and admiring that perm i can not touch.. lol"
So those are all the answer minus some "LOLs" and profanity...

I WANT YOU TO THINK FOR A SECOND, WHY DO YOU THINK???... DO YOU THINK IT IS EVEN TRUE?

NOW.... WHY THIS TOPIC INTERESTED ME....
This topic interested me because often I have heard that we/black woman don't like to work-out because it will mess up our hair. I myself am an African-American woman (if you didn't notice, lol), but I feel as if I'm a bit indifferent because I have never been to engrossed with my hair, which is sometimes a bad thing, lol.... For a long time, I would just throw my hair in a bun (getting better at styling a lil' bit, lol), and I kept it moving.... This is partly due to me playing sports my whole life, but mostly due to the texture of my hair and my lack of cosmetology skills, and also my lack of patience that was needed to maintain my hair properly and in a timely fashion. Currently, right now I am all natural (since 2005). Personally for me, going natural is best for my lifestyle. I can do so many more things with my hair (well lets keep it real, have someone else do so many more things with my hair, I'm slowly learning, lol...) and without jeopardizing the health of my hair. So, that's part of my equation, and just to note, it doesn't have to be yours, I'm not saying you have to go natural... When it comes to your own hair everyone has their own comfortable style due to the texture of your hair and overall preference of style. To each it's own... As an African-American/ethnic woman we are also blessed with many choices. We can wear our hair one way and then switch it up to something completely different the next day and still look fly! We embody a beautiful queen in so many different ways, but lords knows at times it takes work/time/patience, and money!  Am I right? Yes, I am sure there a few hairstyles that are easy, and their are some people who are blessed with "easy" hair (meaning looks cute and easy to do ), but often our hair is not something that we just wash comb and walk out the door. Agreed? I am basing my statement off experience, my friends, family and fact.

Another Link Article and Video (WATCH)
http://www.thegrio.com/health/black-women-workout-no-way-im-sweating-out-my-hair.php


Soooo back to the question... Do you we (black woman) not work-out because it will mess up our hair? After searching on the internet I was surprised to find multiple topics on various sites concerning this question/issue.


As you saw in the videos and after I read and researched online, being overweight and obesity among African-American woman is extremely high and the highest when comparing ourselves to black men, white men and white woman. The percentage and comparisons are based off of  BMI (body mass index) of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight by the American Obesity Association, while a BMI of 30 or higher is obese.

Now I have an argument.. BMI charts aren't always accurate (good comparison for average people, not athletes/extremely active individuals and also slightly scued for different cultures and races that are ethnic/non-white). This is because the BMI calculation (a formula, the chart often used for research and statistics) is determined simply by your height and weight and that's all. Therefore, if someone is an athlete or predisposed to more muscle mass (a good amount of African-Americans) and has more muscle than fat, they would be categorized as overweight, which is not true. Muscle is more dense than fat. All in all, someone who weighs more can be a lot healthier that someone who weighs less. The most accurate calculation is to determine one's body composition. Body composition is the ratio of lean body mass to fat body mass. You can obtain this information from several different methods. The most common is Calipers (skin folds). Other methods are the Bod Pod, DXA (dual energy X-ray), BIA (Bioeletrical Impedance Analysis), and Hydrostatic Weighing. Find out your Body composition on your next visit to your doctor. Chart Below...

CHART
Description   Women         Men



Essential fat   10-13%       2-5%


Athletes        14–20%        6-13%


Fitness          21–24%       14–17%


Acceptable   25–31%      18–24%


Obese          32%                + 25%

All in all we as black woman need to "step up our game" and be active!!! Lets improve our equation so that we can age with good health and grace. My "posting" started with hair and exercise, but I conclude with improvement of our overall health. START NOW... I truly think it is possible to be active all the time for all people, unless you're incapable because of illness.

Since moving back to NC, I have experienced many different changes from my move. I am an east coast girl at heart, but I had forgotten how different California was in comparison to the east coast (where I lived VA, NC and FL) lifestyle. In California so many people of all different cultures and races just live an active lifestyle daily, so it seemed, and I really miss living there for that reason. People walk and bike to work, the store, anywhere.... The bikers owned the road in Northern CA with respect of most drivers. After work and weekends consisted of going to the park, running, biking, hiking, and just enjoying being free from work in an active way. I've lived in NC for a little over a year, and the culture of an active lifestyle seems more or so something that I have to bring to the table. Unlike Cali, where it was part of the atmosphere that I was living in, on a daily basis (also there was more healthy choices in food), if that makes sense.... I believe you/I can definitely make the most out of our opportunities and a choose to live a healthy lifestyle in NC. NC is an amazing place with lots of things to do, BUT in my opinion we must weather the storm of the norm, which is being sedentary/less active. MAKE THAT CHANGE!!!


Lastly, If you feel hair may be a a reason/set-back to your overall work-out/exercise/lack of an active lifestyle then, below are some tips (most of the ideas are  from  http://www.blackhairplanet.com/blog/care-black-hair-exercise/) to help maintain your hair when your active. ENJOY!


If you have longer hair, pull your hair away from your face and neck when you exercise. If your hair is relaxed, the best way to protect your hair is through a tight ponytail. Smooth your hair out with a brush an bundle your hair in the back portion of your head in a bun, by twisting your hair around and securing it with bobby pens. If you have a lot of hair you can place a scarf around the bun. Definitely place a scarf or headband around your forehead to wipe off the excess sweat. 

If you have just styled your hair with a curling iron, then try some pin curls by separating your hair into 6 to 10 partitions (depending on amount of hair you have) . Comb each section in a curl down to your scalp and secure with bobby pin(s). Again place a headband across your forehead for excess sweat.

If you plan on swimming secure your hair in the top of bun on top of your head and place a swimming cap over it.

For natural hair, sectioning your hair is always good to help  your breathe a bit. Also, twisting (big or little) your hair prior to working out helps enhance curls and waves post-workout. Again a scarf or sweat band to absorb sweat...

For natural hair styles, always add a lil' bit more moisturizer to scalp during the week to help prevent dryness. I use Ms Jessie's Purple Hair Pudding and different natural deep conditioners. Experiment with your own hair. Just don't use any products that have alcohol as you probably already know, which are bad for natural hair (causes breaking and dryness).

If you are really doing a lot of activity at a certain point in time, then I suggest putting your hair in braids during this time. It's easy to maintain, saves you time, and it protects/keeps your hair healthy (just as long as you wash and moisturize your scalp).

Lastly, for weaves, I am not sure.. I'll be honest,lol... but since you sweat from you scalp then, I would take the same steps as relaxer assuming you can get your weave wet. If not, then that's a whole different story.

 HOPE THIS HELPED :)

NEXT TOPIC COMING UP... ACTIVE THINGS TO DO IN RALEIGH and THE STATE OF NC.. I'LL GIVE YOU ALL SORT OF OPTIONS/THINGS TO TRY OR DO THIS SUMMER (HOPEFULLY YOU'LL BE ABLE TO PICK AT LEAST 5 ACTIVITIES THAT ARE CONDUCIVE TO YOUR LIFESTYLE)
STAY TUNED :)

No comments:

Post a Comment